Overnight Summer Camp Counselor Job Description
Camp Royall is seeking enthusiastic staff for our Summer Camp. A Camp Royall Counselor experience is like no other, especially if you are considering a future career in Recreational Therapy, Outdoor Education, Psychology, Speech or Occupational Therapy or Special Education.
Camp Royall Counselors work with and closely supervise campers of all ages and on all levels of the autism spectrum who attend our programs. You will receive intensive pre-camp training about autism and your role as counselor. During program, you will assist campers in all aspects of self-care, including dressing, bathing, eating, grooming, toileting and other areas of daily living. You will also implement visual structure and reinforcement strategies to facilitate communication and appropriate behavior management protocol, in a fun and nurturing environment.
Overnight Counselors may also rotate work as Night Duty Counselor during the program. This is in place of a daytime shift.
You must be:
- 17 years of age at the start of employment.
- Demonstrate a desire and ability to learn and be taught about autism and approaches for managing the challenges associated with it.
- Be physically able and willing to maintain constant supervision of campers and to fulfill all responsibilities fully.
- Be patient, energetic, fun-loving, and hard-working and a sense of humor doesn’t hurt!
- Be willing and able to put the needs of others before your own.
- Be flexible and able to work well with others, maintain open and effective communication.
- Be accepting and respectful of those who think, behave, and interact differently.
View full description (pdf)