Action alert : June 9, 2009
Proposed House Health and Human Services ( HHS) Budget DRASTICALLY Cuts Services
The House HHS budget has moved to the full House Appropriations Committee with $3 billion in cuts to health and human services programs and services.
The impact of these cuts will be felt by every person with autism and other developmental disabilities and their families in NC:
- People with disabilities will lose services
- People providing services will lose jobs
- The state will lose tax revenue and federal funding
- The system will collapse
YOUR ADVOCACY IS WORKING! House leaders are now discussing a revenue package, but there is still much work to be done.
The House Appropriations Chairs and the Governor and your Legislators need to hear from you today!
Enlist the help of your neighbors, family members, church members, co-workers, and the people you do business with- the impact of these cuts will be far reaching and includes them.
1.Contact the House Appropriations Committee Chairs TODAY – See contact information below
- Tell them this budget harms people with autism and other developmental disabilities, mental illness and addictive disease
- Tell themjobs will be lostwhich will worsen our state’s economy
- Tell them they need to raise taxes to protect services and supports for people with MH/DDD/SAS
2. Contact the Governor with the same message -Governor Beverly Perdue 919. 733.4240
3. Contact your own legislators with the same message. Remind them that you are a voter in their district and you want them to raise taxes to prevent cuts to MH/DD/SA services. To find your legislator, click here.
4. Write a Letter to the Editor of your local paper expressing your concern. Short personal stories are best.
5. Plan to attend the Developmental Disabilities Advocacy Day on June 17th to talk with your legislators on these issues. Details to follow.
THE CHAIRS OF THE FULL HOUSE APPROPRIATIONS COMMITTEE
Rep. Mickey Michaux – Durham County – 919.715.2528 Mickey.Michaux@ncleg.net
Rep. Alma Adams – Guilford County – 919.733.5902 Alma.Adams@ncleg.net
Rep. Martha Alexander – Mecklenburg County – 919.733.5807 Martha.Alexander@ncleg.net
Rep. Jim Crawford – Granville – 919-733-5824 Jim.Crawford@ncleg.net
Rep. Phillip Haire – Haywood, Jackson, Macon and Swain Counties – 919.715.3005 Phillip.Haire@ncleg.net
Rep. Maggie Jeffus – Guilford – 919.733.5191 Maggie.Jeffus@ncleg.net
Rep. Joe Tolson – Edgecombe, Wilson Counties – 919.715.3024 Joe.Tolson@ncleg.net
Rep. Douglas Young – Hoke, Robeson, Scotland Counties – 919.733.5821 Douglas.Yongue@ncleg.net
Thank you for all you are doing to protect supports for people with autism and other developmental disabilities and their families.
The Autism Society of North Carolina